Brief History of CGOA
The Central Government Officers’ Association, Cochin was originally formed as Central Government Officers’ Club in December 1985 at the joint initiative of Shri. M. Mathan Jacob, Commissioner of Income Tax, Cochin and Shri. S. Manickavasagam, Collector of Customs, Cochin, to have a common meeting place for the group A & B Central Government officers stationed in and around Cochin. With the concerted efforts of the then Managing Committee, a membership drive was initiated and a good number of officers of the different central government departments in Cochin such as Income Tax, Customs, Central Excise, MPEDA, Spices Board, Coir Board, Coconut Development Board, EIA, MMD, CMLRE, FSI, CMFRI, NIO, CIFT, CIFNET, IFP, NPOL etc. joined as members.
Though the Club was formed in 1985 with Shri. S. Manickavasagam as President, Shri. A.S. Shenoy as Secretary and Adv. Ahmed Kunju as Treasurer with certain intended programmes and activities as envisaged in the bye-law, nothing much could be done for want of suitable premises, either own or even rented. Monthly meetings were being held initially at the Bharat Tourist Home and later, with courtesy of the Integrated Fisheries Project Authorities, at their conference Hall near Fine Arts hall. At these meetings, quite often lectures by eminent people on topics of interest to the members were also arranged. Besides, occasional outings to nearby places of interest were also organized for the recreation and interaction of the members and their families. The Managing Committee, meanwhile, had met and discussed with the Greater Cochin Development Authorities for allotment of a suitable piece of land so that the Club could have its own premises. As a result, the then Chairman of GCDA, Shri Paul P. Mani allotted a plot of 15 cents in Panampilly Nagar area (Survey Nos. 1002 and 1013/2), a prime locality in Cochin city. The funds for buying the plot were generated by holding ‘Ganamelas’ by renowned musicians, namely Padmasri K.J. Yesudas, and Shri. M.G. Sreekumar. The sale deed was executed on 5th June, 1990, when Shri P. Sreedharan (Central Excise & Customs) was the Secretary, on payment of a cost of Rs.3.15 lakhs.